Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Ghosts of Ashbury High - Jaclyn Moriarty

Today I am reviewing The Ghosts of Ashbury High by Jaclyn Moriarty. You may remember that I reviewed another of her books, The Year of Secret Assignments, a few months ago (if you want to read that review, click on the title). Actually, I have a lot of the same comments with this book. Because of that, this review might not be that long.

First, let's talk about characters. This is where Jaclyn Moriarty really excels in my opinion. Her characters are nicely fleshed out, and feel very real. This is particularly challenging because in her books, the different characters "write" different parts of the story (through letters, emails, diary entries, blog posts, school assignments, ect.). Each of her characters has a distinct writing style, which really impresses me. What I usually dislike about these types of books is their lack of distinction between different "writers" (characters).

The plot was fun, but nothing amazing. It was enjoyable, but nothing profound. It is a lighthearted story about a bunch of kids. I have nothing more to say on this topic.

For the writing, it firmly in the "middle." It was well done, but not overly well done. She made some creative choices which I enjoyed, but I also think that the writing and plot complemented each other very nicely. Neither one ever really took control of the book. This made it a quick, easy read.

I enjoyed this book, and if you like this kind of book, and the synopsis sounds interesting, I recommend checking it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment