Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Back to School! {link up}


Today, I'm participating in the September Let's Homeschool Highschool blog hop! This month's theme is Back to School, which is great, since I was already planning on writing a post on this general topic.

LHSHS Blog Hop - 250x250
This year, the new school year isn't as exciting for me as at has been some years. There isn't much new curriculum, but there are still new topics. With the classical method, you come back to each main history and science topic every four years, so I am doing things this year that I haven't done since 6th grade. If you're familiar with the classical method, you know which topics I'm doing this year. :)

Here's a quick overview of what I'm studying this year. I'm not going to talk curriculum now, since that will come later, in the the subject by subject HF posts. For history this year, I'm doing Middle Ages. It's so sad for me to think that this is my last rotation! I'll never study Ancients again! This is my last chance with the Middle Ages! :) For science, I'm doing Earth Science. This being the last time for science just isn't as sad to me, especially since I'll probably have to take many of the sciences again in college. :) I'm still doing some grammar and vocabulary, and all my writing and literature is integrated with history. I'm still in Algebra 2, but I'm hoping to work through that pretty quickly so that I can start Geometry part way through the year. I'm also doing Rhetoric, having finished Logic last year. I'll also be starting Spanish, and continuing with Latin.

I started school on Monday, which means that I've done almost a full week of school. I've done everything but Spanish, since my book got ordered a bit late. It's supposed to arrive today, though, so I'll be able to start it up pretty soon.

Really, 10th grade isn't that different then 9th grade. It'll be a lot of the same curriculum, and a lot of the same schedule. In some ways, though, this will be my last year of totally homeschooling. In 11th grade, I can start taking classes at the community college, as part of Running Start. While I don't plan on going there full time, I'll still be a college student, which means I won't really be 100% homeschooled anymore. It's kind of bittersweet to think about.

Well, whatever happens this year, I'm glad to have had a pretty good start to the year!

1 comment:

  1. I am visiting your blog through the blog hop at Let's Homeschool High School. It sounds like you have a good plan for your high school years. I am impressed with your community college plans even if it means not being a full time homeschooler anymore. I hope you have a good year!

    ReplyDelete