Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Banned Books: Part Two

 This is the second post in a series I originally wrote for my other blog in September 2012. To go to the first post click here.

Here are the top 16-30 most commonly challenged books from 2000-2009, according to the ALA. The bold ones I have read. My comments below the title. The links lead to their Amazon.com pages. In the case of a series, it either goes to a box set, or the first book in the series.

16. Forever, by Judy Blume
I have not read it, though I certainly intend to sometime soon.

17. The Color Purple, by Alice Walker

18. Go Ask Alice, by Anonymous
This is a very interesting book. When I read it, about a year or two ago, I found it very sad. Unlike many books, I understand why this book would be banned. At the same time, this book kind of opened my eyes to another world, which I do not think is a bad thing.

19. Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

 20. King and King, by Linda de Haan
 I have not read this, but I think it is really sad that cute picture books make it on to these lists.

21. To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
One of my favorite books. Being narrated by a little girl brings a whole new perspective to the story that makes it very memorable.


22. Gossip Girl (series), by Cecily von Ziegesar
I haven't read this series, and don't intend to. Rather shallow, and just not my type of thing. If I get really bored, I might check out the first book though... :)

23. The Giver, by Lois Lowry
This is the first dystopian sci-fi novel that I ever read. From that point on, it has one of my favorite genres. This is a really great book!

24. In the Night Kitchen, by Maurice Sendak
I haven't read it, but it looks cute.

 25. Killing Mr. Griffen, by Lois Duncan
I hadn't heard of this book before, but the description looks interesting... 

26. Beloved, by Toni Morrison

27. My Brother Sam Is Dead, by James Lincoln Collier
I was eight when I read this book, so I don't remember it all very well, but I know I loved it. It is is a very moving book, and I highly recommend it.

28. Bridge To Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson
A sad, but good book. I enjoyed it.

29. The Face on the Milk Carton, by Caroline B. Cooney
I have not read this book yet, but I intend to soon.

30. We All Fall Down, by Robert Cormier
Also on my To-Read list.

Well, that's in for today. Come back tomorrow for books 31-45. 


I have read 12/30 of the banned books reviewed so far. How many have you read?

No comments:

Post a Comment