Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pirate Cinema - Cory Doctorow

Over the last week or so, I have been slowly reading Cory Doctorow's newest teen novel, Pirate Cinema. It quickly became my favorite Cory Doctorow book that I have read.

My first experience with his books came about two years ago when I picked up "For The Win" at the library. It was a bit slow at times, and I actually don't think I got through the whole thing, but something about it so that I could not totally forget it, or it's author. It was nearly a year later that I picked up Little Brother, but when I did, I loved it. I would highly recommend either of those books. For more on them, click on the links, they will take you to their Amazon pages.

Pirate Cinema, like Cory Doctorow's other two teen books, is a book with a purpose. Just like Little Brother is warning about what our anti-terrorism policies could turn into if they are not kept in check, and For the Win is about what could happen if our world gets a little to virtual, Pirate Cinema is a warning of what could happen if copy write laws got out of hand.

I won't go over the whole plot here. If you are interested, check out the Amazon page (by clicking on the title at the top). Instead, I will just go over the things I like about it.

Mostly, I really just liked the story. It was very unique premise, and his terrific story telling style pulled it off very well. It is a bit on the rambling side at times, but the story line was still pretty great. I almost lost interest a few times near the beginning of the book because it took a while to get to the main story. It was worth the wait, though, so keep that in mind if you give it a try.

All in all, I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys futuristic stories, high tech/hacker stories, and maybe even video editing. Of course, I don't really fall into any of those categories (except for the first one, although not even too much), and I still loved it, so you might still want to try it out.

I know this was a very short book review, but I promise that more will be coming soon! If you have any questions about this, or any book I have reviewed, please leave them in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment