Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Morning Commute by Scott Zavoda {Short Story Review}

Today I am reviewing the short story Morning Commute by Scott Zavoda. It's short enough that I'm not going to use my typical review method, but instead I'm going to talk about some things I did and did not like about it.

Synopsis from Amazon.com:

Want a fast-paced, breathtaking read that’ll tingle your nerves and make you laugh?

Go no further, because this is it!

Stifling heat, late for work, stuck in a heap of traffic. What can be worse?
The pervert driving next to you of course. The one staring creepily at you. For Mary Duvall, things get a lot worse. Her morning commute spirals rapidly out of control in this hilarious, tense, over-the-top, thrill- ride. Hang on and don’t let the suspense kill you on the way!

If another driver has ever cut you off, then you need to read Morning Commute!


First of all, there is a lot of swearing in it. Personally, I don't really have a problem with well places swear words, but this was definitely more the the story needed. That is something that turned me off of it a bit, but it might not bother other people.

The mood of the story I found rather interesting. It has the feeling of being somewhat dream like, in a nightmarish way. It worked well in this format, I think. I'm not sure if I would have wanted to read too much more in that style.

Mainly, what I have to say about it is that it started weird and got weirder. It was short, and took me only a few minutes to read from start to finish.  I know this isn't a long review, but it's not a long story.

My final verdict is that I would recommend this short story to people looking for something short, funny and a little strange to keep them busy on a rainy afternoon or on a train ride.


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment