Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Why I'm Doing NaNoWriMo

I was inspired by Ian's post today to write one of my own. He's admittedly got a much harder time this November than I do, but I just hit the slump. I know it typically doesn't hit until week 2, but I usually hit it a little early. It's the point at which I've exhausted all those fresh exciting story ideas (and now I have to actually advance the plot and add character development). It's usually the point where I get behind on my word count for the first time. Because I'm totally ripping Ian off, here are reasons I won't succeed at NaNoWriMo this year:

1. I am really busy. I have college classes, high school classes, dance, and various social events I'm too much of an extrovert to skip.

2. I have so far logged 8,173 words of the 10,000 I should have by the end of today.

3. I'm only going to get busier. As the Nutcracker and finals approach, things can only become more busy.

4. My mom's voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that I should do school before writing, and I keep listening to that voice.

Reasons why I will succeed:

1. I have a good track record. I've finished the last three years in a row, and the last two years I've finished early.

2. In 2011, I got behind on Day 4, and didn't catch up again until the 29th, on which I wrote 5,000 words. In 2012 I was behind from the 7th to the 27th, and in 2013 I was again behind from the 4th through the 29th. I have a pretty good track record with catching up. Speaking of past years, on the sixth I had 7195 words one year. At least I'm doing better than that.

4. I've told a lot of people that I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year, and I can't tell them I failed.

5. I simply can't fail this year. Each year is going to be more challenging than the one before it, but I am determined to continue doing NaNoWriMo.


What are your reasons you're going to fail and succeed at NaNoWriMo this year?

3 comments:

  1. I did it 2 years ago and it nearly killed me, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like numbers two and four. It's hard to tell people that you failed something you were so pumped up about succeeding at- and the pressure of a deadline often helps you get a move on. ;) Good luck with your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds like a crazy life! Your description of your mom's voice admonishing you that schoolwork comes before all else resonates with me. I wouldn't let myself do much of anything before my schoolwork was finished during my first quarters at Whatcom. But I think the more classes you take, the better you get at flexibly reassigning priorities and balancing coursework with everything else. (I'm currently treading the edge of the procrastination cliff under the blessing of "flexibly reassigning priorities" :) )

    ReplyDelete