Pages

Friday, October 23, 2015

Classes

This quarter feels like it just started, and already it's time to register for winter classes! Today, I went in to see the high school counselor so that she could sign my registration form. Next Wednesday is my registration date, so I just need to decide what I'm going to take before then.

I know I'll be taking Precalc I (my last math class!), and German II, but I have one other spot in which to put an elective. That's where I'm getting conflicted. I've narrowed it down to either a Sci-fi/Fantasy lit class, or a Children's Lit class. Both sound awesome, so I'm not sure which I'll go with yet. 

In the spring, I'll be taking Chemistry, and World Civ III, plus an elective. I think I'm probably going to take an English class about Sir Arthur Canon Doyle (cause why the heck not??), but that could change if something else comes up before then.

My classes this quarter have been going well so far. Math is going way better than I had expected, though I'll be glad when it's over. My Intro to Religion class is kind of weird, and while it's super easy (which is great), the teacher kind of rubs me the wrong way sometimes. I do find the topics interesting, but it's definitely my least favorite class at the moment. German is surprisingly fun. It's pretty easy for the most part, though I know I'll need to start working harder as we get out of super easy stuff. There are some pretty cool people in that class, which makes it really fun.

I've also started working at the Writing Center at WCC this quarter. I was pretty nervous about starting there, but I've started getting the hang of it, and I do enjoy working with people on their writing. I'm "on-call" for ESLA (English as a Second Language Academic) students, who need help with their grammar, and I've been learning a ton doing that. All my co-workers at the WC are really nice, and always have really interesting conversations during downtime (which there is quite a bit of some days).

I've been working on my college applications. For the most part, they are going pretty well. The applications themselves are done, and now I'm just working on essays. I am feeling pretty good about the personal statement I've been working on, but some of the questions the schools ask are hard. 

I may yet do NaNoWriMo. I have decided that if I can finish my college apps before Nov. 1st, then I can do NaNo. I think it's doable, and I'm really excited. The idea I'm currently thinking I'll go with involves a collection of shorter narratives that all have a common theme. Characters are the part of writing fiction that I really like, so I want the stories to almost be more like extended character sketches. It bends the rules of NaNoWriMo a bit, but that's kind of the point. 

There's a recap of what's in my brain today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment