Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Government Shutdown

On Monday, our new current events class met for the first time to discuss the government shutdown. There was a little discussion, a lot of listening, and a lot of background information about the shutdown.

I am a news junkie, as my mother calls me, and as such, I like to know what's going on in world, especially when it is going to effect me or people I know. Over the past ten days of the shutdown, I've heard a lot about it, through various sources. This all came in handy when the dad who is running the class asked us all to email him our guesses about when the government would reopen, and how.

I'll admit that since I told him my guess, I've been watching the news even more carefully to see if I'll be right.  So far, I'm thinking I could get lucky. I guessed that the government would reopen on Friday the 11th (that's tomorrow!), and it is looking like things might be headed in that direction at the moment, though we will see soon enough. I could still be totally wrong.

If it does reopen, I'll get an email notification from NPR (as I do with any major news event), and I'm sure I'll see it on Google News pretty quickly as well. If it happens in the morning (before 8sih, PDT), I'll hear about it on NPR. Sometimes I think maybe I'm connected to a few too many news sources. :) Oh, and within a day (maybe less), I'm sure SourceFed will have a video about it too. You can never have too much news...

1 comment: