Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Spectacular Now - Tim Tharp {Book Review}

Today, I am reviewing The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp. I really liked this book, and I am excited to share my thoughts with you. If you have read this book, I would love to know what you thought of it!

Amazon Description

SUTTER KEELY. HE’S the guy you want at your party. He’ll get everyone dancing. He'll get everyone in your parents’ pool. Okay, so he’s not exactly a shining academic star. He has no plans for college and will probably end up folding men’s shirts for a living. But there are plenty of ladies in town, and with the help of Dean Martin and Seagram’s V.O., life’s pretty fabuloso, actually.

Until the morning he wakes up on a random front lawn, and he meets Aimee. Aimee’s clueless. Aimee is a social disaster. Aimee needs help, and it’s up to the Sutterman to show Aimee a splendiferous time and then let her go forth and prosper. But Aimee’s not like other girls, and before long he’s in way over his head. For the first time in his life, he has the power to make a difference in someone else’s life—or ruin it forever.

My Review

I thought the writing in this book was completely amazing. Sutter's voice felt so authentic, and real. I honestly believed at times that I could be inside his head. It was written in such a way that even though you experience everything directly from Sutter's experience.

The plot of this book was almost painful at times.  It was good, it was real, but was hard to read at times, especially as it gone on towards the end. The number one thing I have to say about this book is that when you finish it, you will feel a little empty, and a little (or maybe a lot) sad, and realize that whatever else this book was, it was 100% honest. I never felt that any character did anything out of character. They were real, and honest, even when it hurt.

The characters were really good as well. Sutter was a train wreck you just can't look away from. Aimee was so sweet, all the way to the end. You just can't help but hope for all her dreams to come true. Cassidy was a very three dimensional character who really made me pause and think a few times. I don't have a lot more to say here.

I feel like I should touch briefly on the ending, though, don't worry, no big spoilers here. If you are really worried, skip to the next section. The ending reminded me a lot of Eleanor and Park's ending. I hoped it wouldn't happen, but I kind of secretly always knew it would. Beyond that part of the ending though, I can't help but feel that it could not have been more true to real life, as hard as that can be to accept at times. I think the end of this book could be used in an ad to keep kids from drinking. To me, it was that kind of sadness that I felt. The inevitable, yet still painful kind. It was almost like Sutter was my best friend who's choices I had been trying to ignore, trusting that everything would work out fine, until suddenly I was forced to realize that it had gone too far, and it couldn't turn out fine. Okay, the next paragraph will have major spoilers, but I will put it in white, so you will have to select it to read it.

I really held out hope for Sutter and Aimee up until the very last page. It wasn't until then that I realized exactly what was going on. I think that maybe the author intended to make it feel ambiguous, but to me it did not. To me, it meant that Aimee had moved on (or been forced to), and Sutter was continuing down the path he had started down years before. I saw no hope for them as a couple, and honestly no hope for Sutter as a person. Aimee now had a whole life ahead of her she wouldn't have had without Sutter, so their time together wasn't for nothing, but at the same time, maybe it was best for her that it ended when it did. I don't think she had the ability to do for him what he had done for her.

Who Should Read This Book?

I would recommend this book to just about anyone, since I loved it so much. If you liked Eleanor and Park, by Rainbow Rowell, this has some similarities (and a lot of differences). If you are really sensitive about drinking, this is not the book for you, since that is really a main theme. In fact, I might even go so far as to call Sutter's alcohol problem a character that develops throughout the book. There is some sex and swearing, but not to what I would consider an abnormal amount for a book like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment