Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Allegient by Veronica Roth {Book Review}

Today I am reviewing Allegient by Veronica Roth. Just so you know, I will try not to have too many spoilers here, but this is not going to be a spoiler free review. So, if you have not read the book, but intend to, maybe skip this post. Also, this review is more about how this book fits in with the previous two, and less about it as an individual book.

Summary
What if your whole world was a lie?
What if a single revelation—like a single choice—changed everything?
What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?
The explosive conclusion to Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times bestselling Divergent trilogy reveals the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent

My Review
With this book, I had the somewhat unique experience of not having ANY spoilers. Seriously, I did not even read the front flap of the book before I read it. That being the case, I did not know what to expect, and I have very mixed feelings.

I have always felt like Veronica Roth's characters and writing style is very much middle ground. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about them, but they also don't particularly stand out. I think that it is the story lines in her books that really make them stand out.

I will admit that I didn't have too high of hopes for Allegient. I have read far too many teen dystopian trilogies with a wonderful first book, and okay second book, and a disappointing resolution (Reached, and even Mockingjay are prime examples). It was not as bad I had feared it might be.

The main explanation for everything, which comes a third or so of the way through the book, was one I was happy with. It made sense to me, even though it could have used a little more fleshing out in my opinion. However, the book continued to stretch the idea to greater and greater lengths without ever really making it more then a reletivly abstract idea. I didn't love that.

By the end, the characters are rebelling against this idea, but I was never able to totally get behind them since I never really understood what it was they were rebelling against.

Warning, spoilers ahead. Nothing explicit, but enough info that you might be able to guess how it ends if you read it carefully.



Another thing that bothered me through out the book was the switch from Tris's 1st person POV in the first two books to now switching between Tobias and Tris. I found it rather annoying, though of course I understand now why the author did did that, and I really can't complain too much.

The way the book ended, that one thing that I am sure Veronica Roth is getting plenty of hate about, I can't say I really am too unhappy about. It felt somewhat appropriate, and it showed me that she was willing to take risks with her characters for the sake of the plot.

Who Should Read This Book
 Anyone who read and enjoyed the first two books. As the final book in a series, I can't really recommend it to anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment