Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2013

NaNoWriMo - Week 1

Whew, ten days done, and twenty to go. That means that I should be about 1/3 of the way through my novel, which I am not. I am currently about 3k behind, which is not too bad. I've been much farther behind at this point in the month and still won.

My story is going okay, though I've sort of hit a wall. My story so far as been dark realistic fiction, veering sharply into literary fiction. Literary fiction can be great, but it is a PAIN to write. You have to know your characters really well, and sometimes it can just get to be too much work, especially for NaNoWriMo.

I don't know exactly where I am going to go from here, but my main plan is to change things up a bunch. I am considering jumping forward in time (maybe as much as ten or twenty years), and even switching up the genre (heading for more of a fantasy vibe). I would never do this if I expected anyone to read it, but since that is not really why I do NaNo, it should be fine. I'll update you next week on what I actually decided to do.

I would love to go to some Write Ins this year (write ins are usually held at coffee shops or other public places, and are where a bunch of local NaNoers come to hang out and write together), though I don't know whether or not that will work out. I have never gone to any local events in the past two years I have done NaNo, but I would love to meet some of the people I see so much online. I try to keep pretty active on the Bellingham forums on nanowrimo.org, and I do think that the personal connection can be really motivating.

If you are doing NaNoWriMo, and you want to be friends with me on the site, my name is Daisy512. Feel free to nanomail me, or send to a buddy request.

No comments:

Post a Comment