Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

General Life Update

This isn't strictly a school update, but it's more of a school/life combo update. First of all, here is a brief summary of my school week:

I have been reading The Travels of Marco Polo. I'm only one chapter in, but it's already reminding me of a cross between The Boy's and Girl's Herodotus, and Gulliver's Travels, though it's way more like Herodotus. I've been doing well in Latin, studying 3rd conjugation -io verbs (does this mean anything to anyone else, or is it all just me blabbering?), and I'm doing graphing in math. In Rhetoric, I'm still doing analogies, and I'm barely squeaking along in science.

In other things, there's snow! It wasn't a lot, and, (outside the Starbucks I'm currently sitting in) it's almost all gone, but it was snowing when I got up. Also, I watched the Superbowl this year, for the first time in my life. Since the Seahawks won, it has been getting crazy around here. Everyone is really happy, and the general mood here in the Pacific Northwest is generally quite good.

I've had a pretty quiet week. I had dance, but other than that I've been laying low and trying to get work done. I also finished reading Tasting the Sky, which I plan on reviewing pretty soon. I'm still working on A Clash of Kings, which definitely gotten to the point of being exciting. I'm 600+ pages in, and people are dying and big stuff is happening. I wish I had more time to read it, but I'm also reading two other books, in addition to all my school stuff, so time is a bit limited.

I've been doing some editing in my spare time, which is fun. I really want the Chicago Manual of Style for my birthday now. It's the reference material that is considered the definitive text for most grammar or style related questions. I also want some Irish dance hard shoes. Both the shoes and the book tend to run in the $65 (the book) to $150 (the shoes) range, so I'm not sure how good my chances. I thought I should start asking early (my birthday's not for four months :) ) to get the word out.

In dance, we're preparing for our performance in March, which I think will be really good. In two weeks, we're going to Florida, which I am really looking forward to. It will be great to have some warm weather and Disneyworld will be awesome.

Next week, on Valentine's Day, we are going to see a play of 39 Steps with a bunch of friends. I know nothing about the play, so it should be a lot of fun.

That's all for this week. What have you been up to?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Monica, The 39 Steps is from a book we read, by John Buchan. We really enjoyed it, but the movie was really different, and the play will be more so. And did you check downtown for a Chicago Manual? They might have one for quite a bit less.

    ReplyDelete