Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Struggles

I'm sure I've said this before on this blog, and I'm sure I'll say it again some time. This is a public venue. What I choose to publish here is visible to the world, and I'm aware of that. Because of that, the life that is represented on this blog isn't a full representation of who I am. And anyone reading this is probably aware of that. I don't think anyone really expects me to bare my soul on here every day.

With that said, I do a lot of writing that I never publish on the internet, or submit to a teacher. When I'm worried, or sad, or just having a bad day, I write about it. I'm a pretty wordy person. That's what I do. Sometimes, I go back and read some of the things I've written and think, "Wow, somewhere in here, there's a great blog post." Usually, that blog post is buried under personal stories and names, and other details that aren't appropriate for such a public space. But in there somewhere is an idea that is worth writing about, and worth expressing to the world.

And that brings me to what I want to talk about today. I haven't been doing much writing on paper, or on a keyboard lately, but I've been writing in my head (which I do sometimes when I can't actually write), and I have some ideas that keep coming up.

It all boils down to a collection of words for me. Right now, those words that sum up what I'm feeling are "loss," "uncertainty," "hope," "fear," and "choices." Here are a collection of my thoughts about those words. It's a tad incoherent, but it gives some insight into my psyche.

Loss. Why loss? Lately, I've gone through some experiences that make me feel like I'm losing some things from my life. A person who is instrumental in my life has moved away, and that's been hard. Being the word oriented person I am, I wrote her a letter that I gave her before she left. It started out as a quick note to attach to some chocolates, but it ended up being over a page and a half long. Why did I write that? Because it was important to me that she knew how much I appreciated her, and how influential she had been in my life. Because I needed the closer that writing it provided.

Uncertainty. I am constantly uncertain about how people see me. I think that I am relatively bad at portraying emotions, and I often worry that others don't really see how I feel. I worry that the people I love don't really see that I care about them. The uncertainty about where I stand is hard. That's another reason that I wrote that letter. I wanted to make sure she knew that she is important to me, and is a person I care a lot. I can't necessarily say those things easily, but I can write them.

Hope. Uncertainty takes other forms too. I'm also uncertain about much of my future. I just don't know what's going to happen. But I do have hope. That hope is hard to find some days, but it's there. I know that there are a lot of good things that can happen. Hope is also something I need more of. I need to be more hopeful, because it's really true that there are lots of good things that are yet to be discovered. I have moments when a friend texts me a random thought which clearly says that they have been thinking about me. That gives me hope that I'm not terrible at relationships.

Fear. Fear is the flipside of hope. I hope good things will happen, but I fear that they won't. When I don't know if people realize I care about them, will they still stick with me? Where will I be living in a year? Will I be happy? What if I can't fix all the problems I have? What if I can't keep up with all my classes? Uncertainty leads to fear.

Choices. In the end, there is always a choice. People have been telling me that for years, and I've spent plenty of time arguing against it. "Yeah, sure, I can choose not to be so worked up about this, but did you hear what he said?!" "Okay, whatever, so I can choose not to spend time thinking about this, but what will happen if I don't figure out what to do??" Those are still hard for me. I'm not good at choosing happiness. I'm not good at letting go of things.

But in the end, choice is often the difference between fear and hope. I may still be fearful, but by choosing to wallow in the fear, it's possible to close doors that lead to a more hopeful outcome. I want to be ready to choose hope when it comes knocking.  I don't want uncertainty to force me to choose fear because it's familiar.  Sometimes loss happens either way, and that's the way life is.

Right now, loss is at the top of my mind. And I'm choosing to be sad, because I need to be. Honestly, I'm not very good at letting myself be sad, but I'm choosing to allow it to happen. But in the long run, I'm trying to convert uncertainty to hope, while still recognizing that fear has it's place.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Monica. I feel ya! I have this thing I do, whenever I am hanging around other people a bit too much, or when I post something on the Internet, at some point I start to doubt. I start to wonder if everyone thinks I am this big stupid loser LOL.

    Here is what I have learned. The important people will never think that about me. And, I will always have these episodes of doubt and social anxiety, no matter how many times I see evidence that people really do like me. Unfortunately, I can't just "stop thinking that way." It's part of who I am.

    But the funny thing is, now that I have acknowledged that, it is kind of easier to ride out those episodes. Because I can think: "Ok, this is just one of those times." Suddenly it feels more like a cold that I just have to wait to get over, and that makes it a little bit easier.

    I hope you can find that kind of peace too.

    As for the fear and hope...it happens when you are transitioning from student to adult. And then it happens over and over your whole life. The best thing to do there is not to hinge your happiness on some goal in the future, but on being happy with your life right here in this moment. My dream is to have enough money to be comfortable, and a nice little hobby farm, and a family. But right now I have money trouble, a tin can for an apartment, and I will never have my own children. And I don't see how I will ever get those dreams. I could choose live in the dark light of the fear that I will never have those dreams. Or I could choose to be happy with what I have sitting in my tin can, with a cat in my lap and a nice cup of hot chocolate beside me.

    Ultimately, any of us could not have a tomorrow, and may not have the future we thought we would. If we hinge our happiness on a future...then we may end up living an unhappy and futile life. If we hinge it on being happy in the moment then no matter what comes we will live a life of fulfillment.

    If you ever want to chat about stuff, let me know. I don't think we have ever met (you know how Bellingham is, we may have crossed paths and I just don't remember) but I consider you a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your response, Amanda! It made my day a whole lot better. :)

      Thanks for adding your perspective to this! It's nice to see that other people have some of the same problems (not that I thought I was all alone in feeling these things, but it's nice to see someone else articulate it the same way). I definitely do know that being happy in the present is important, and it's something I'm constantly working on being better at.

      I don't think we've ever crossed paths off of the internet either, but I definitely appreciate that! It's always nice to know you have friends out there. :)

      Delete