Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Guess the Book

I took the first two sentences from ten books on my bookshelf. Can you guess the books? If there was an introduction, I skipped that, but prologs I left in. Remember, these are books on my bookshelf. Put your guesses in the comments!

1. The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east. Strange!

2. "That is my decision. We need not discuss it," said the man at the desk. He was already looking at his book.

3. Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening Hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen. The three great tables that ran the length of the Hall were laid already, the silver and the glass catching what little light there was, and the long benches were pulled out ready for the guests.

4. When I saw the crowd gathering at the train station, I worried what President Roosevelt would think. I just hope he doesn't get the idea that Jenkinsville, Arkansas can't be trusted with a military secret, because, truth of the matter is, we're as patriotic as anybody.

5. When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie theater, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home. I was wishing I looked like Paul Newman-he looks tough and I don't-but I guess my own looks aren't so bad.

6. It was a dark and stormy night. In her attic bedroom, Margaret Murry, wrapped in an old patchwork quilt, sat on the foot of her bed and watched the trees tossing in the frenzied lashing of the wind. 

7. Part of the problem, Nita thought as she desperately tore down Rose Avenue, is that I can't keep my mouth shut. She had been running for five minutes now, hopping fences, sliding sideways through hedges, but she was losing her wind.

8. Everyone thinks it was because of the snow. And in a way, I suppose that's true.

9. In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times. He laid the paper down, and glanced out of the window.

10. The senior partner studied the resume for the hundredth time and again found nothing he disliked about Mitchell Y. McDeere, at least not on paper. He had the brains, the ambition, the good looks.

I think most of these are pretty easy. I tried to mainly stick with pretty well known books. A few might be harder. There are two that I think are very easy. Post your answers in the comments, and I'll post the answers next week. I added a couple of classics from the school room shelf to the mix too, since I ran out of books on my shelf that I thought people would be able to guess.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I'll play.
    #1 - The Westing Game
    #3 - The Golden Compass
    #5 - The Outsiders
    #10 - The Firm

    ReplyDelete