Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Podcasts

I know I've talked about podcasts on here before, but I've started listening to a few new ones recently and I wanted to talk a little bit about my current set up.

First of all, I listen to podcasts using Overcast. I used to use the default iOS one, but Overcast is much better.

As for the podcasts I listen to, there are a few categories. First are the ones I've listened to every episode of, and eagerly await new episodes of:

-Welcome to Nightvale. You probably all know I'm a big WTNV fan. If you listen to it too (and are totally caught up) you probably know that wierd things are happened in Nightvale and that this is a wonderful and terrifying time to be in that particular fandom.

-Hello Internet. I know I've talked about HI on here before, but really, it is worht talking about again. I love Hello Internet so much. It's a show of "two dudes talking" and it's awesome. It's hosted by CGP Grey and Brady Haran (of Numberphile and numerous other YouTube channels) and they talk about many, many things. I don't even know sometimes why I like this show so much, but it's really awesome.

-Cortex. Okay, so this only has one episode so far, but I'm putting it here anyway cause it was a pretty great first episode. This is CGP Grey's new podcast with Myke Hurley. This is about work flow, organization, and basically how Grey gets stuff done.

There are also other podcasts that I listen to periodically, but not religiously. I don't always listen to the episodes in order, and I sometime skip some:

- The Digital Gentlemen Podcast. This is also the "two dudes talking" style, and it's hosted by Matthew Gaydos and Matty Kerr. It's good, it's very weird, and it's very often not family friendly. They are both commedians in some sense, and the show is often very funny, and totally random.

-Radiolab. I don't to try to sell this one to you. Radiolab is clearly great, and it's the podcast that got me into podcasts. I don't listen to every episode, but there are some really awesome ones out there. 

-This American Life. Same basic story as Radiolab.

-Ear Biscuits. This is a podcast by Rhett and Link where they interview people of Youtube fame. Some episodes are really good, other less so. I usually just listen to the interviews of people I know and am interested in.

-The Cracked Podcast. This is run by Cracked.com, and it is sometimes a little overproduced for my taste, but it is well done. I dont always listen to it, but there are some great episodes out there. They focus on pop culture analysis and all sorts of human interest kind of things.

-99% Invisible. This is a new favorite of mine. It's hosted by Roman Mars, and it is about design - architecture, sound design, product design, all kinds of design. It's really great and the episodes are really short. It's well done, and you don't have to be into architecture to like it.



These are some of my favorites. What podcasts do you listen to? I'm always looking for more good ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment