Pages

Thursday, December 5, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013 - Resources

This year during NaNoWriMo, I used several writing resources that I had not previously discovered, but that I loved. Both of the ones mentioned here I discovered on the regional forums for the Bellingham area on nanowrimo.com

1. Written Kitten

I LOVE this thing. Seriously, I would guess that about 20 thousand words of my novel were written in this. I have used Write or Die occassionally in the past, but it stressed me out too much. This was way better.

In Written Kitten, every time you hit a word count goal (I had mine set for every 100 words) you get a new cute kitten picture on one side of your screen. It is fantastic. The pictures are pulled from flickr, so some are better than others, and some are a bit weird, but the idea is wonderful. The one thing I didn't like was that I wasn't able to format my text the way I wanted (for example, I wasn't able to indent my paragraphs with the tab key). I worked around that, though, and I might need to credit Written Kitten for the completion of this novel. :)

2. Baby Name Genie

This website allows to you type in a last name, and choose a gender (or not, if you want to be surprised), and then it will give you first and middle name combos for the last name you provided. Names are my favorite part of writing fiction, and I love finding interesting ones for my characters. Baby Name Genie was a website I used a TON this November.

The majority of my characters got their names (or at least part of it) through this website, and I am sure I will continue to use it in the future.


That's all I've got for you today. Come back tomorrow for a long overdue Homeschool Friday post (sorry about that!). What websites and other resources did you discover this NaNo?

No comments:

Post a Comment