Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Banned Books: Part Five

This post is part of a series that I published on my old blog in September 2012. I have been reposting them here over the last month or so. 

Here are the top 61-75 most commonly challenged books from 2000-2009, according to the ALA. The bold ones I have read. My comments below the title. The links lead to their Amazon.com pages. In the case of a series, it either goes to a box set, or the first book in the series.

61. Draw Me A Star, by Eric Carle
Come on people, this is ERIC CARLE. Why on earth would he be on a banned books list?

62. The Stupids (series), by Harry Allard

63. The Terrorist, by Caroline B. Cooney

64. Mick Harte Was Here, by Barbara Park

65. The Things They Carried, by Tim O’Brien

66. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, by Mildred Taylor
When I first read this book, at the age of ten, I had never really read about that time period from that perspective in a way that had really made much of an impact. This book did.


67. A Time to Kill, by John Grisham
I have not read this book, but the description sounds very intense.

68. Always Running, by Luis Rodriguez
It makes me sad to see memoirs on this list. This really happened, and people need to know about it.

69. Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
I really liked this book. I think the message is great, and the story is well written.

70. Harris and Me, by Gary Paulsen

71. Junie B. Jones (series), by Barbara Park
I think I read these when I was about six.


72. Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison
Toni Morrison should win some kind of award. Maybe "Most Banned Books." :)

73. What’s Happening to My Body Book, by Lynda Madaras
I am pretty sure you can guess what this is about.

74. The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold 
Peter Jackson directed the movie.

75. Anastasia (series), by Lois Lowry
Not what you think.



I have read 16/75 of the books for far. What about you? Have you read any of the ones I have not? If you post a short (1-3 sentaces) comment about he book in the comments I will edit it into the post. If possible, I want comments about every single book!

No comments:

Post a Comment