Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

O Brother Where Art Thou

A few weeks ago, I watched the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou," and I loved it. Unfortunately, I do not have whole lot of time today, so this is not going to be a super long review. I am just going to go over the main things here. As usual, I am not going to go over the movie in detail here, so if you want to know more, click on the title to go to the Amazon page.

First of all, being a movie, and not a book, I do not feel like I can really judge it so carefully. I can't really disect the plot, or the acting, but I can certainly say that I loved it. It was hilarious, and so well done. Next, let's go on to the music, which I really enjoyed. It was light, and just beautiful.

The other thing I wanted to talk about is the Odyssey tie ins. I didn't really watch the movie expecting much in that department, though I knew, as you probably do, that it has its basis in the Odyssey. What it had was all the basic parts of the Odyssey that the majority of the population know: the Cyclopes, the Sirens, Circe (sort of), and of course the great journey back to Penelope. There is even a character who could interpreted to be Homer himself.

While that was neat, and more then I expected, I must admit that I had hope for a bit more, considering I just read the original poem last month.  There is so much more to the story then most people seem to realize, and I had sort of hoped that maybe there would be some references to the structure of the story in the actual book, or the journey of Telemachus, which takes up a good portion of the book. There was one reference to the George Clooney character (who is sort of Odysseus) as a "cool tactician" which people who have read the Odyssey and/or the Iliad will definitely appreciate.

To sum it up, I loved the movie, and I highly recommend it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment