Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sunday, April 19, 2015 {The First Day!}

Woo! First post on a new blog! I've had a number of blogs in my time (some much more successful that others) and that first post is always exciting. I think this will go in different formats different days, but I'm going to start out by trying out a sort of a list format. Whatever I end up doing, my goal is to post about four times a week.

1. Woke up at 7:30, which was the latest I've woken up in maybe two weeks. It was great.

2. I spent a good part of the morning reading about plate tectonics for Geology and doing a "bonus" assignment for that class. One of my friends, who is in that class with me, and I are trying to figure out what these bonus assignments really are. The syllabus clearly states that there is NO extra credit available, but when the instructor handed out this assignment, he said that it wasn't required. Whaaa?

3. I wrote an 800 word informal paper for my English class about religion in my homeschool group, and an essay by Jamaica Kincaid called "On Seeing England for the First Time." The Kincaid essay is short, well-written, and is a very interesting look into the effects of colonialism and cultural difference.

4. Ate lunch, went to babysit. The weather was AMAZING for April - mid to high 60's and sunny, and so the kids and I spent the three hours I was with them outside, scootering around the cul-de-sac, playing in the yard, and trading Pokemon cards with the neighbor kid. Pokemon was huge in the homeschool group about five, six years ago, but it's totally faded out of my realm of awareness. Now these kids spend just as much time trading cards as my friends did back when we were the ages these kids are now.

5. Came home, ate mushroom bread pudding for dinner, and had a long discussion with Mom and Isabelle about the various attributes of the Tenth and Eleventh  Doctors from Doctor Who.

6. Read from my English textbook (the topic was different ways of using evidence in a paper), and completed a short discussion post on Canvas about it. Canvas, for those who don't know, is an online resource for colleges that allows instructors to put up lecture notes, assignments, handouts and more on it. It also has discussion forums for the class, ways to submit assignments electronically, and way to keep track of grades. Most classes at WCC use it, and for those that do, checking Canvas is as important as actually being in class. You have to do them both a lot to be successful.

7. Watched Doctor Who, and freaked out a little about the essay section of the SAT while Mom and Isabelle tried to convince me that I should actually be glad I have to write the essay, rather than being in next year's group, which won't have to.

8. Finished up homework due tomorrow, organized stuff I'll need tomorrow, read Jane Eyre, wrote this, and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment