Pages

Friday, April 17, 2015

The Semicolon Project 2015

Yesterday was April 16th. If you spend time on the parts of social media that I do, you may have heard of the Semicolon Project, which happens on 4/16 each year.

This is the image that circulated a few years ago about this.





I love things like these because they create a sense of community and allow us to do one simple thing to show that we are part of a larger movement. 

For me in particular, the date April 16th holds a lot of significance. It was a date where my life changed quite a bit at one point in the past, and to this day, it remains a day of thought and introspection for me. 

I don't talk about this much on this blog, and I'm not going to start now, but anxiety and depression are things that I struggle with on a daily basis. I have people close to me who suffer from these issues as well, and they have effected my life in any number of ways. I don't know who I would be if I did not suffer from them. 
The semicolon on my wrist.

I think things like the Semicolon Project are important because, as small as they are, they remind us that we need to celebrate the small victories. Celebrate the sentence that has not yet ended. 

The semicolon on my wrist will fade in a day or two, but while it's there, it reminds me that depression and anxiety are a neverending battle between two parts of myself, and that the day I give up is the day the sentence ends. That sentence isn't ending anytime soon. 

I'm a grammar nerd, and so I love semicolons no matter what, but the one on my wrist reminds me that I'm alive and I'm still fighting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment